Friday, September 4, 2026

Making Progress

I've been making progress on my new armor. Here is my status at the end of this week.

Cuirass
I started work on my faux lamellar cuirass.

The back plates have been cut out and punched.

Same for the front plates.

One thing I need to do is to cut creases between the individual "plates." This accentuates the illusion that the armor is made up of multiple lamellar plates instead of larger strips.

I cut the creases for one front panel. I need to finish the other front panel and the back.

Change of Plans
But then I decided to change my plans, a bit.

I was thinking that the best order for making the armor would be
  1. greaves
  2. tassets
  3. cuirass
  4. helmet
I need to order leather for the greaves, but I have enough to make tassets. So I put aside my cuirass, for the time being, and started working on tassets.

Tassets
I cut and punched plates for the tassets for one side. I still need to cut creases.

I plan to add a couple of loops of leather that I can put on a belt.

Greaves
I need to place an order for leather to make the greaves.

I have a template ready. It includes knee protection.

Painting
I want to paint the armor so it looks like metal.

I painted my first leather cuirass in gold leather paint. It looks fine, albeit a little flat.

I tried an experiment on a spare plate. I dyed it black then daubed on silver paint. I think it looks much more realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment