Saturday, October 1, 2016

The Shot

A minor incident in the everyday life of the realm

I was riding on patrol the other day when I came upon a curious sight. A man was throwing a rope up into a tree while a young boy looked on expectantly. I stopped and asked if they needed help. The man explained that he was trying to get his son's toy down from the tree. I did not ask how it got there in the first place, but when I looked I could see the toy lodged in the crook between 2 branches.

"I'll see what I can do," I said.

I dismounted from my steed and gathered up my bow and some arrows. I strung my bow, placed an arrow on the string, a drew it back. My archery was not the best so I wondered if I could make the shot. I momentarily worried that I would get my arrow stuck in the tree while leaving the toy untouched. What if my shot skewered the toy, destroying it? All these thoughts filtered through my mind. I had to dismiss them and concentrate on the shot.

Focusing my concentration, I aimed and loosed. The shot was true; the arrow grazed the toy without puncturing it. It swayed on the branch, then came tumbling down. The man and boy applauded.

I was very happy to be able to help. And I am particularly pleased with the shot!

OOC Notes

  • This was an actual incident at last week's practice. There was a Cub Scout pack having a party at the park's pavilion. One of the lads got a bean bag stuck in a tree (I didn't ask how). One of the fathers was trying to get it down with a rope. I came over with my bow and arrows and offered to help. I got it out of the tree in one shot. There was applause.
  • Note that I used Amtgard arrowheads. I didn't have to worry about piercing the bean bag.
  • Nevertheless, I am so pleased with the shot that I had to write down the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment