Sunday, June 2, 2019

The Philosophy of the Enchanted Realms (Part 2)

I previously discussed the reasons why I am reluctant to add a skills system to the Enchanted Realms rules. Now I'd like to tackle the suggestion to include an in-game economy.

I realize that in-game economies are staples of almost all RPGs.  The granddaddy of them all, Dungeons & Dragons, heavily focuses on raiding dungeons, killing the monsters, and making off with their treasure. So why would anyone want to eschew an in-game economy? Well, let me tell you my reasons.

Much like skill systems, an in-game economy adds complexity to the game. Once added, the gamemaster needs to determine what items are available, how much they cost, and how much treasure to provide to the characters. At first, the characters use those funds to improve their gear, making it easier to survive and complete quests. But later, their acquisitions outpace their need for new gear. So now the GM has to find new ways to separate the adventurers from their cash. D&D "solved" this problem by providing rules for characters to build and maintain strongholds. As a result, rules complexity expands dramatically. Therefore, an in-game economy violates my philosophy of simplicity.

Some would argue that an in-game economy is necessary for the adventure focus of the game. After all, why are player characters adventuring in the first place if not for loot? For one, I want to encourage the players to embrace a different motivation than mere acquisition. I hope they seek to be heroes rather than mercenaries.

My inspiration has always been epic heroic fantasy such as Lord of the Rings or King Arthur. The main characters are defending civilization rather than trying to make a big score. In those types of stories how often do the heroes rifle through the pockets of their defeated enemies looking for spare change? Yes, I know there are grittier heroes like Conan who are motivated by money. Even then, how often in the stories do you find the heroes counting their gains, budgeting their expenditures, maintaining cash flow statements, blah, blah, blah? The stories focus on the adventure rather than resource management. I would like Enchanted Realms to do the same.

I must admit that my use of the term in-game economy has been imprecise. I should elaborate that my comments apply to an in-game coin-based economy. I am not opposed to all forms of in-game economy; indeed I do think that one is necessary. Nevertheless, I would like to experiment with a different system, one not based on coin. I'm thinking of a patronage system. In a way, this is more medieval (coin was scarce so barter and favors formed a more frequent medium of exchange). In this system, characters will earn more powerful patronage as they advance in levels. This will give them access to more resources. One aspect of this is already in the rules. Why can't fighters use heavy armor at first level? It's not because they don't know how; it's because the game assumes they don't have the resources to afford heavy armor at the beginning of their careers.

I still need to work out the specifics of the system, although I have in mind that ultimately the characters will earn their own estate of some form. Regardless, I will likely keep it fairly open-ended, giving the Quest Master a lot of leeway in determining rewards. In concept the system is simple. We don't need to keep track of revenues and expenses. Instead, we just track levels (which we are doing already). In addition, it keeps the focus on adventures. Whether the characters want to be heroes or just want to advance in level, they are motivated to go on quests.

This is the underlying philosophy that influences the rules I created for Enchanted Realms. I am very reluctant to depart from this philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment