Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Realms of Elzwehn - the Elevator Pitch

Last year, my friend Robb and I began work on a set of LARP rules called Elzwehn. Even as we prepare to launch a chapter of Way of the Sword, I have been fiddling around with Elzwehn. I've named the latest iteration Realms of Elzwehn. Here is my elevator pitch:

What is Realms of Elzwehn? 
An open-source, generic, universal set of rules for playing live action battlegames (LABs)

What is a live action battlegame (LAB)? 
A cross between a LARP and standard foam fighting. LABs are played in a series of connected combat scenarios that form an ongoing story. Players form 2 teams that take turns being PCs and NPCs.
Yes, I created my own term. This emphasizes that RoE is not quite a full immersion LARP but offers more than the standard foam fighting organization.

Why open-source? 
This gives the group organizer (which I call the Realm Master) the freedom to develop a setting, create adventures, run battles, and determine the effects of victory or defeat (which could include in-game awards and titles).

Why generic and universal? 
Once again, this gives the group organizer freedom to develop the setting. A group can also skip around between settings without having to learn new rules.

What does the name mean? 
It is intended to highlight two important aspects of the rules:
  • We see each group as autonomous, without interference from a higher organization. Essentially, each group is an independent realm. I have taken to referring each setting (and a group can develop multiple settings) as a realm. Hence, multiple groups will form multiple realms.
  • Elzwehn (i.e. elsewhen) emphasizes the universal nature of the rules. Settings may exist across time as well as space.

No comments:

Post a Comment