Tuesday, December 14, 2021

The Legion vs. the Lich

From the journal of Kentarch Elias Palatini, commander of the Chimera Legion on Chovoli Island.

The Legion received a plea for help from the neighboring island of Koryfogrammi. It seemed their capital, Epineio was under attack from an army of undead. Although not part of the Empire, we enjoyed good relations with the Koryfogrammoi. Things had quieted down on Chovoli, so I decided to send a detachment to assist.

Given the seriousness nature of the emergency, I led the expedition with my pentecontarch at my side.

Pentecontarch Basilius Akephalos Kydones

After a short voyage we arrived at Epineio. An army had already gathered and was preparing to move out. It had formed into two divisions. Our forces were split between the two. Basilius commanded the legionnaires in the first division while I led our troops in the second.

We marched toward the invading horde of undead. We rushed into battle and smashed into the zombies. But we discovered that they could withstand horrific wounds that would fell a normal man. We learned to strike mortal blows. Our troops were then able to drive deep into the enemy line. But then we were horrified to find that those zombies we had felled had returned to battle! The more we struck down and the further we penetrated, the more we found ourselves surrounded.

We then discovered that the enemy horde was led by what the Varangians call a lich - an undead necromancer.

"Kill the lich!" came the command. It was the only way to defeat our foe.

I lost track of Basilius, but I believe he led a force on the left flank. He destroyed scores of the abominations, but still they kept coming.

I led an attack on the right flank. We managed to cleave our way through the zombies. Lo, there before us was the lich!

"Charge!" I cried, and we rushed forth. We reached the lich, and I even managed to strike it with some powerful blows. However, I believe it had some magical protection, and survived my attack. Then undead reinforcements arrived and pushed my force back.

We continued to battle on the flank, but swarms of zombies prevented us from reaching the lich again. Yet it seems that we provided a useful diversion. Elsewhere, the allied army broke through and slayed the lich. Without its control, the zombies collapsed. Victory!

Game Notes
Last Sunday we drove up to Crest Haven, an Amtgard chapter in West Palm Beach, to participate in their coronation event. I used a Greek translation of their name for the name of the island and capital city:
  • Koryfogrammi = Crest
  • Epineio = Haven
The forces of Crest Haven battled a lich and his army of zombies. Players formed into two teams, with each taking taking turns as the undead army. Josh aka Lord GrRakt played the lich.

Robb and I made the trip up. We were split between the two teams. My narrative represents this by putting us in different divisions. Of course, we did not command any players, but in my imagination, we were at the head of our legionnaires.

I managed to reach the lich once and got in a couple of strikes. Amtgard liches have 4 points of armor, so it takes quite a few hits to kill one. I did not quite get enough hits. Fortunately, my teammates were able to break through and kill him. 

The good guys won both battles. Yay!

1 comment: