Monday, February 19, 2024

Tasset Approval

One issue I have with my latest armor kit is the lack of heavy armor on my lower torso. To alleviate that, I'm looking into making tassets.

The Design
I fiddled around with a cardboard prototype.


I picked up a cheap belt from Walmart then added strips of cardboard designed to look like lamellar.

For the real thing, I would make 3 panels - 2 for the front and 1 for the back.

The design seems practical. Now onto the construction phase.

Leather or Plastic
First, I need to decide which material to use for the tassets. I have 2 options - leather or plastic.

Let's start with plastic.
My idea is to order some more plates from Plastic Lamellar. Now that I have some experience, I think I can whip up some lamellar tassets in a short period of time. The drawback is weight.

Instead, I could go with leather.
I'm thinking 9-10 oz. leather. These would be lighter than plastic. However, I am not experienced working with leather. Besides the learning curve, I need to acquire all the tools.

I probably should just take the plunge with leather. It's something I want to learn anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment