Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The Ironheart Accord

After reporting my discovery to the Sentinels at Landfall Castle, I Rufus returned to the main island of Ember Shoals and headed toward Heron Hall. I passed ruined fields and the remnants of once-prospering villages. All human habitation was now in ruins. Of people, however, I saw not a trace.

On a couple of occasions, I was attacked by fell beasts. Apparently left on the island by the Faedwyr. These I managed to slay with sword and arrow. I made it safely to the remain of Heron Hall. I strode through the now burnt and blackened corridors. The heron tapestries of the Great Hall lay in ashes upon the floor. All was in ruin, or so I thought.

I next visited the chapel, and found it remarkably preserved. The altar, the chalices, the pews, and the ornamentation were all untouched. I gazed in wonder at this miracle.

"Holy ground. The Faedwyr cannot enter." a voice spoke from the doorway. I whirled around, unsheathing my sword and dropping into a fighting stance. As light shone on the speaker's face, a flash of recognition passed over me.

"Brother Jaromir?"

"Brother Rufus?" he replied. "Is that really you?"

I sheathed my sword, rushed over, and grasped his hand. "Aye, it is me!"

After a very brief, happy reunion, Jaromir grew serious. "Come, let's leave. It's not safe. The Faedwyr keep Heron Hall under watch." He led me out of my old home and into the woods.

On our journey, Jaromir explained what had been happening in Ember Shoals. The Faedwyr had killed or enslaved most of the people, but some had escaped into the wilderness and had formed scattered settlements. The Faedwyr (and their fell beasts) still appeared, seemingly at random, so it was unsafe to travel far. The settlements eked out a meager existence in the shadow of the enemy.

I was greeted warmly at Brother Jaromir's settlement, located in a concealed clearing deep in the woods. It was a ragtag group that included a wide variety of the citizens of Ember Shoals. Wardens rubbed shoulders with corsairs, farmers, adventurers. You name it.

At dinner, I mentioned my resolve to fight the Faedwyr and reclaim Heron Hall (and all of Ember Shoals). My statement was greeted with mirthless laughter.

One of the settlers stated: "We cannot fight the Faedwyr. They have dark, mysterious powers. It's a hopeless dream."

"A dream perhaps," I replied. "But not hopeless." I told them about the three druidic artifacts and the Faethorn. I saw a glimmer of hope in their eyes.

"Come friends, let us band together. Though in the past we have had our differences, let us put those aside and join as one. We will forge weapons of cold iron so that we can stand up against our enemy."

Brother Jaromir interrupted me at this point. "We will need more than iron weapons to be victorious. We will need hearts of iron."

"Yes!" I responded. "And that we have in abundance." I gazed around at the gathering around the fire. I saw a few nods and smiles.

"Therefore, let us form an alliance of the ironhearted men and women of Ember Shoals. Together, we will find the artifacts, fight the Faedwyr, and free our home!"

Cheers greeted my statement. And on that night, the Ironheart Accord was born.

4 comments:

  1. Robb and I are forming a new unit. We are a rag-tag bunch united in our resistance to the Faedwyr

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Brother Jaromir is a new character that Robb created.

    ReplyDelete