Sunday, June 17, 2018

Paladin Kit Wish List - Armor

I am fairly content with my ranger kit  but lately I find I really prefer melee-focused classes. In particular, I want to go back to a paladin look. In this post, I'll be jotting down some ideas.

The key to the paladin look is heavy armor. However, I don't actually want to wear anything heavy so I am looking at plastic armor.

Helmet
I love this Stormforge helmet from Wyrmwick. Painted in bright silver with gold highlights, it would look very paladin-y. My main concern is that the back may extend a bit too far down, preventing a full range of motion for my head.

A more practical option may be a spangenhelm. Wyrmwick has one as does Norton.


The spangenhelm leaves a lot of my neck uncovered. Not a big deal but I am worried about sun protection. I'm thinking of getting a sun mask, like this one from Coolibar. It looks like a medieval arming coif but is thinner and is made for sun protection (SPF 50). I would prefer it in black though.


Arms and Legs
Wyrmwick and Norton both offer full sets of armor but their prices are a bit stiff. Alchemy Armoury has some nice basic plastic armor for SCA use.

Yes, it's black but I suspect I could paint it. I'd like to get the full legs and full arms.

Torso
I've been toying with the idea of a coat of plates. I'm thinking it may be lighter and cooler than my chainmail (which I need to wear with a gambeson). Alchemy has a COP kit. The main issue with a coat of plates is that it typically only extends to the waistline.

I could extend coverage with a chainmail skirt. Found some on ebay.

If I go this route, I would want to cover up the chain. I could convert the coat of plates into an armored surcoat, which will extend down to about my knees.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps better to get a medieval coif (https://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-1284-padded-coif.aspx) and treat with sun guard treatment (https://www.amazon.com/Rit-Sun-Guard-Treatment-Protectant/dp/B0000Y3F6W#customerReviews)

    ReplyDelete