Friday, January 22, 2016

Rise of the Dragon Lord

I have many more stories about Dragon Coast but I would like to share them another day. Now, I wish to skip ahead to the final days of the realm.

The troubles began in the fifth year of the realm, during the reign of Redbeard I. A dragon’s egg, imbued with dark magic, was discovered in the midst of the swamps of Dragon Coast. Two powerful warlords, Barnabis and Agnar, gathered their retainers and sought out this artifact. The two warbands ran into each other and a clash of arms broke out. Both sides rushed to retrieve the egg. It passed from one side to the other, as those who tried to carry it off were cut down. Ultimately, Barnabis’s forces retrieved the egg and retired to his stronghold.

I confront the Dragon Lord.
Alas, I was defeated
The dragon’s egg, however, exerted a malign influence over Barnabis. He became corrupted and evil strangled his heart. He became the diabolical Dragon Lord and gathered an army of cutthroats around him. His minions spread across the peaceful realm, sowing havoc and chaos, murder and destruction. His corruption spread to Hollowfell (the new name of the northern outpost founded by Harlen), They claimed descent from the dragons, whom they avowed were the true owners of the land. The Dragon Lord tried to spread his control southward into the heart of Dragon Coast but the rest of the realm resisted.

By now, Harlen I had taken the throne, but shortly thereafter he migrated north. This left Dragon Coast without strong leadership.

King Harlen I
Coddling an orc baby
Hollowfell, corrupted by the Dragon Lord's influence, broke off from Dragon Coast. Into the void stepped the Usurper who took control of the remnants of the realm. Alas, he established a dictatorship, which I could not abide. Political dissension split Dragon Coast.

And that was when disaster struck.

I shall resume my narrative at a later date.

OOC Notes:
  • The Dragon Lord theme was a plot line I developed to give a little RP to Dragon Coast's events. I love how Barnaby and Hollowfell took the idea and ran with it.
  • Due to disagreements over the direction of the realm, Hollowfell split off not long after the Dragon Lord plot line began. I think the Dragon Lord's corruption makes an excellent RP explanation for the realm's split.
    • P.S. I'm still not clear on the reasons why Hollowfell broke off. If anyone wants to inform me, please contact me privately on Facebook. I prefer to keep airing of dirty laundry off this blog.
  • I also objected to the new direction of Dragon Coast. In particular, leadership stopped following our old bylaws and dragged its feet on formalizing new ones. This struck me as rather dictatorial. I use "the Usurper" as my role-playing explanation for this political/organizational disagreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment