Friday, December 28, 2018

My Kind of Excellence

Previously I questioned using individual achievement as the basis for knighthood. I asked "So what is our solution to the problem of excellence?" Today I would like to provide my answer.

Originally I was going to title this post "The Right Kind of Excellence." I changed it because I realized that I am not the final arbiter of what is right or wrong. I have always believed that each local group should be allowed to determine their standards for awards. Thus, it is not right for me to dictate how other groups should act. However, I will unequivocally state what I think is right.

As I mentioned, I believe that individual achievement is the wrong basis for knighthood. Instead, I believe that a truly knightly person betters his or her community (and by community I primarily mean the local park). In my eyes, there are two ways that a person does this:
  1. Provide concrete service to the park
  2. Contribute to the atmosphere of the park. I call this "flurb" excellence
Path 1 is pretty self-explanatory. The player takes on tasks that help the park. Serving as an officer, organizing games and events, acting as reeve, teaching, helping new players get into the game, etc. are all invaluable services to the park. The group would not function without these people. Some groups do overtly recognize these people. For example, Amtgard Flame Knights have earned their belt through their service to the kingdom. These people excel by helping their comrades and should be recognized for their efforts.

I personally think that the second group gets overlooked, but they too are vital to the LARP experience. And yes, what we are doing is LARPing. We are taking on roles as medieval heroes and playing out their adventures in live action form. Sounds like live action role playing to me. Anyway, I have frequently said that LARP groups have the most fun when they create a shared fantasy world. Thus, players improve the park when they contribute to this shared world. How can they do that? Here are some ways:

  • Wear appropriate garb! This is the easiest way to create atmosphere. Nothing breaks immersion like someone in a T-shirt and shorts. However, a well-done kit will accentuate the game.
  • Use game titles and names. Another way to break immersion is to use people's everyday names. "Hail Xhorja" sounds better than "Hey Robb." Even better, add their title - "Hail King Xhorja."
    • Of course, adding titles only works if people have titles. That's why I want to make it easier for people to earn them.
  • Ditch the mundane stuff while LARPing. Park day is not the time to watch videos on your phone or listen to modern music. And hold off on discussion about school, work, your D&D campaign, etc. Try to start conversations about events in your shared fantasy world.
  • Decorate. Bring banners and standards and hang them around. Throw in some other odds and ends that look medieval. Anything to accentuate the setting.
  • Accessorize. Try to get replacements for modern accouterments. Don't drink from a water bottle - get a water skin or goblet instead.
These are just some ideas I have to make the park a better place. Most groups would consider these ideas to be a bit "flurby." If so, then I firmly believe that we need more "flurbiness" at our parks. Furthermore, I believe we should be rewarding people who contribute to the setting. This is what I call "flurb" excellence, and I firmly believe that it should be a basis for knighthood.

The Free Kingdom of the Shrouded Isles will undergo some changes in the new year. I explicitly want to hand out more titles, especially knighthoods. One of the conditions for our knighthood will be "flurb" excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment