Sunday, February 10, 2019

Dragon's Dirge - The Return

I, Brother Rufus of Freehaven, was attending upon the king at his stronghold of Oblazdt Vaersahw when a messenger arrived for me. This is what the message said:
Brother Rufus, 
I was in command of the galley St Brendan while it was on patrol over the Mystic Sea. We discovered a hitherto undiscovered island. Naturally we investigated. As we approached, I felt that the coastline was familiar. But how could that be? This island had never been seen before. 
Finding a cove, we landed upon the beach. I led a party inland to explore. Again, the feeling of familiarity weighed upon me. But I had no time to ponder the mystery when we were attacked by the native humanoids. They were, however, not human. They had a dragon-like quality to them. We called them dragonians. 
We had a running fight to get back to the ship. As we pushed off from the beach, we were attacked by a wyvern. Fortunately, our archers were able to drive it off. We passed through a gauntlet of fireballs as we escaped from the cove. Rowing out to sea, one of the dragonians yelled at us. "Do not return to the land of the Dragon Lord!" it said. 
That was when I realized why everything seemed so familiar. It was our old home, prior to our escape to Ember Shoals. It was Dragon Coast!
A Dragonian
(Source: http://phaeselis.wikia.com/wiki/Half-Dragon)
I showed the missive to His Majesty. He had not heard of Dragon Coast before so he had me tell the story of its rise and fall. He was especially interested in my story of the recovery of the sacred stones from Crying Heavens. These stones, which became known as the Dragon's Eyes, were renowned for their magical properties.

A few days later, King Xhorja called me to his chamber.

"Brother Rufus, I believe it imperative that we investigate whether the Eyes still survive. Send out an expedition to find them."

And with that, I began preparations for a return to Dragon Coast.

OOC Notes
  • This tale is a little backstory to an upcoming event I am running called Dragon's Dirge.
  • The event commemorates the 10th anniversary of Dragon Coast's founding, which occurred on March 17, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment