Thursday, March 22, 2018

A Christian LARP

Recently my church did a survey asking parishioners how to get more people involved. I answered "run a LARP." I didn't expect a response, or perhaps that they might try to excommunicate me. Instead, to my surprise, the youth pastor approached me to learn more. She asked how to relate it to church. So easy! Knight school - train the participants to be Christian knights. Anyway, she loved the idea and looks like we'll be starting up in the fall.

So now my mind is flowing with ideas!

  • I priced out the cost of getting basic supplies. It came out to about $15 for a sword, $25 for a shield, and $10 for a tabard. A total of $50 - not bad!
  • I am working on a rules set for the group, so we don't have to use Dagorhir or Amtgard. It will be akin to Amt. Initially we are going to ban bows and arrows (yay!). I think we'll use spell balls and allow players to be "slingers" a la David.
  • Toying with the idea of classes. I think I'll introduce some basic classes, but not the full Amt system. We'll start with 3 hero classes - Warriors (fighters who rely on hand-to-hand combat), Rangers (those who use stealth and missiles), and Defenders (who specialize in protective blessings)
  • Defenders will be like Amt Healers, with some twists. Their allowed weapons are rod (blue weapon) or staff.
  • The RPG Spiritual Warfare uses Bible verses as the verbal component to trigger "miracles" (aka spells). I would like to do something similar.

2 comments:

  1. So I'm thinking to make it totally unique & give it a more Christian feel; using these words as replacements: Champion (Warriors), Warden(Rangers), and Defender(sticking with your name there).

    Champion

    Arms: All
    Shields: All
    Armor: Light, Heavy

    Fit the Role(bonus): "War Cry" 1/per Life.

    War Cry forces an opponent to stay 20ft from the caster for 15 seconds.

    Lvl 1: Reinforce 1/life
    Lvl 2: War Cry 1/life
    Lvl 3: Rally Cry 1/refreah
    "(Insert incant here)"
    Heals all allies (teammates) within 20ft of a Wound

    Lvl 4: Armor of Faith 1/life
    "Faith is my Armor"
    Grants 2 pts of bubble armor

    Lvl 5: Shield of the Righteous 1/Refresh
    "Devotion My Shield"
    Grants Indestructibility to weilder's shield

    Lvl 6: Archangel's Might 1/life
    "(Insert incant here)"
    All weilder's weapons become Armor Breaking and Shield Destroying

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some excellent ideas. I had a slightly take on it - trying to merge them together.

    ReplyDelete