Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Living the Dream

I sparked a bit of an internet war last week when I posted a poll on Facebook asking my park if they wanted to revert to a freehold. This sparked responses from a few outsiders, including the king and the prime minister of Neverwinter, defending the value of kingdoms. Their comments made me even more determined to break free of Neverwinter.

Yesterday as I was driving to work, I pondered why I have such a visceral reaction to the Amtgard form of organization. I have laid out before some of my points of contention but I did not explain why. I don't think I ever thought why. But then it dawned on me - it was because of the Dream.

I first heard the term "the Dream" in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronims - the oldest medieval LARP out there, though they hate the term LARP). The Dream refers to the vision that members have with regard to their ideal experience in the shared faux medieval world.

What was my Dream? I'd love to see my park filled with knights and ladies of the royal court, chivalrously greeting one another and interacting. I'd love to bend my knee to my king or queen and personally offer my sword to him or her. I'd love to stand in battle and defend my monarch. I could go on.

The problem with Amtgard is that it hinders my Dream. Knights are scarce - as far as I know there are none in South Florida. The king / queen is typically distant and doesn't visit my park. The rules preclude me from creating the environment I'd love to see at my park.

What is the solution? Change the Amtgard rules (which won't happen) or go my own way. With the High Fantasy Society I can go my own way and live my Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment